It’s now November (albeit halfway over), and like we did last month, we’re going to look at some of the special holidays this month. I’m going to cover only maybe half of them, because there’s a bunch (and some are just stupid). You can find the full listing at other sites, but you can find our original commentary and analysis on these special holidays only at this site. Let’s begin with the month-long celebrations.
November is :
- National Model Railroad Month — I’d like to have one of those huge model railroad sets, because I like trains, and I’d do some interesting things with it. The background scenery would be really cool and random, and I’d be tempted to make multiple trains race toward each other and crash on a bridge, like Gomez Addams did for one of his hobbies on The Addams Family TV series. He also made the bridge explode at just the right time. (That really was a great show.)
- Peanut Butter Lovers Month — This one requires no explanation. But I will make a suggestion or two — you can mix it with jelly, of course, or you can mix it with chocolate. Mmm…
- Good Nutrition Month — This must be some type of mistake. Why would someone schedule this the same month as Thanksgiving? That just makes no sense. Because during the Thanksgiving holiday (which can stretch over a few days, as far as the eating is concerned), all diets are declared null and void. In addition to eating lots of the main dishes like turkey, ham, dressing, etc., desserts will also be consumed in large quantities. Pecan pie is a regular at my get-togethers. I propose we move Good Nutrition Month to January, when everyone wants to start diets.
- National Blog Posting Month — This is obviously a new one, and thus isn’t on some of the lists I’ve seen. The idea is for bloggers to try to publish at least thirty posts in thirty days. That’s a noble idea, for sure, but it’s just not gonna happen here. This is another holiday that could be scheduled better, like during the middle of winter when there’s no major holidays and when it’s too cold to be outside much. Besides, I’ve got too much stuff to do for writing every day. 🙂
Now let’s look at some of the week-long celebrations :
- Week 1 — Chemistry Week — Some school students may think chemistry is boring, and with certain teachers it is, but it can be a really cool subject. Certain combinations of ingredients create explosions, which is cool. And if you study how the basic elements form compounds that are essential to life, it reveals the magnificence of creation, which points to God, our Creator.
- Week 3 — Game and Puzzle Week — It’s a good excuse to bring out some board games, which tend to get neglected with all the modern technology we have. So bring out Monopoly and/or dominoes, to suggest a few. (BTW, did you know you can get Monopoly in all kinds of “flavors” now? I’ve seen one for Transformers, Family Guy, The Simpsons, etc. You can even create your own version on their website and they’ll send it to you.)
I’ll continue this in the next post, or it’s going to get really long…