As we’ve done in previous months, we’re going to look at the special days and holidays of this month. As usual, this is not a complete list — those can be found elsewhere. But I guarantee you will not find another list like this one. This is not a mere list, because we add our own unique commentary and analysis. In other words, we try to make it more fun. And you are welcome to add to the discussion in the comments section.
Let’s get started with the month-long celebrations and observances in June:
- Candy Month — This is a good one to start with. The best way to celebrate candy is to eat it! So choose whatever you like, such as candy corn, candy bars, etc.
- Dairy Month — Dairy products include milk and cheese and ice cream. That would also include chocolate milk, nachos / chip-n-dip, and milkshakes. And this holiday / celebration lasts all month! I can get excited about this one!
- National Adopt a Cat Month — Doesn’t this seem kind of mean? If you adopt a cat for a month, feeding it, playing with it, then you take it back to the pound or just release it into the wild — isn’t that mean? Did someone create this as a secret way to treat cats badly? I’m not going to participate in this one.
- National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables Month — Who comes up with this? I’m boycotting this holiday. Besides, meat is a better meal than vegetables — even the Bible tells us that.
- Rose Month — There’s a certain reader here who will appreciate this one. (He also gets a kick out of this particular picture, for some reason.) 🙂
- Turkey Lovers Month — Shouldn’t this be in November, because of Thanksgiving? But I reckon people already eat lots of turkey then, so whoever created this wants us to eat it at other times. I wonder if this was created by people who sell turkeys for consumption…
- Great Outdoors Month — More outdoors, less work. (Although, if you work outdoors, you might want a holiday for staying home to watch TV or play video games.)
- National Iced Tea Month — This is what I’m talkin’ about! Since I already drink tea on a regular basis (and you should too), here’s how this should be celebrated : all restaurants offer tea (both sweet and unsweet) for free for the whole month of June.
- National Tennis Month — Tennis is an excellent sport! Everyone should play. It’s even fun if you don’t understand the rules and just want to hit the ball hard at each other. 🙂
- Potty Training Awareness Month — Let’s face it, if you aren’t potty trained, you should be aware of it if you’re older than 2 years old. If that’s you, the people around you are certainly aware of it! I don’t think we need a holiday for awareness of this.
Now let’s move on to the weekly celebrations:
- Week 2 — Email Week — Send a personal e-mail to all your friends. And remember that you can use our Contact Us page to ask any question whatsoever. I’ll be your friend. (Sing with me: “Won’t you be my neighbor?”)
- Week 4 — National Camping Week — Camping can be a good time. Go out in nature and “rough it” for a few days. Catch your own food and cook it over an open fire. Sleep under the stars. Or do like many people do — take a camper to sleep in, where you have a toilet and a real bed. That’s not really “roughing it”, but it can still be a good time. It’s refreshing to be out in nature, away from civilization. Take some time away from technology, like TV, cell phones, the Internet (unless you’re out for several days and need to keep up with the latest randomness at this blog). 🙂
This is becoming a long list, so I’ll continue it in the next post. Click here to search for the other entries for June.