As we’ve done in previous months, we’re going to look at the special days and holidays of this month. As usual, this is not a complete list — those can be found elsewhere. But I guarantee you will not find another list like this one. This is not a mere list, because we add our own unique commentary and analysis. In other words, we try to make it more fun. And you are welcome to add to the discussion in the comments section.
Let’s get started with the month-long celebrations and observances in August:
- Family Fun Month — A good family outing is a vacation, but if that’s not feasible at this time, try playing the Nintendo Wii. 🙂 This is not a joke — everyone who has tried it has enjoyed it, no matter their age or prior video game experience.
- Admit You’re Happy Month — Go on, admit it! Although if you really aren’t happy, you should acknowledge that, and then do something about it. And fortunately, you’re at the right place. My personal research has shown that reading this blog will make you happier.
- National Catfish Month — Mmm… fried catfish…
- National Golf Month — The sport of golf requires skill and discipline, sure, but it’s boring to many people (myself included). That’s why I wrote a post about making golf less boring.
- Peach Month — The best way to enjoy peaches is in cobbler, with vanilla ice cream. Mmm…
- Romance Awareness Month — I’m aware of romance. So I’ve got this holiday covered already.
- Water Quality Month — This is the month when local water municipalities strive to provide quality water. Oh, wait, I hope they do that every month. So what is this observance for?
- National Picnic Month — Picnics can be a good time. They make a good diversion from work if you take one during lunch. Just make sure the weather cooperates. Ironically, this emphasis on picnics is in August, which is typically the hottest month of the year. That should not be.
- National Inventors Month — I’ve invented something before, so this is about me. 🙂
- American Artist Appreciation Month — I’m an artist! For real, check it out!
- Foot Health Month — If your feet aren’t healthy, you should stay off them more (i.e., stay in bed more, sit on the couch to watch TV and/or play video games more).
- Home Business Month — I have a home business. I wish this meant I would automatically make more money this month.
Now let’s look at the weekly events / celebrations / holidays in August:
- Week 1 : National Simplify your Life Week — This is actually a good idea. Slow down, relax, focus on your top priorities, and laugh more.
- Week 2 : National Smile Week — Smile! You’re on Candid Cookie! 🙂 Really, studies show that smiling and laughing are good for you, and can even add years to your life. (And of course, I have to plug my blog here, as its purpose is to make people happier.)
- Week 3 : Friendship Week — For this week only, I’ll be your friend. Let’s do lunch. Have your people contact my people…
- Week 3 : Air Conditioning Appreciation Week — This holiday is appropriately placed in August. I’m very appreciative of my air-conditioner! But, on the other hand, I just wrote an article on my other blog explaining why you don’t need air-conditioning. It’s true! Read it if you don’t believe me.
- Week 3 : American Dance Week — All you party people out there, GET YOUR GROOVE ON!
- Week 4 : Be Kind to Humankind Week — This is a good idea. We are all brothers and sisters, after all. (Well, I’m assuming all my readers are human. If you are a non-human species and can read this, please let me know via our contact form.)
This is getting quite long (as it usually does), so I’m going to break it up into several parts. Click here to search for the other entries for August.