Since today is Valentine’s Day, this week’s caption contest will feature a picture of the romantic couple variety. But there is still plenty of room for humor in the photo (besides all the potential humor, satire, and irony of a relationship). There is no context provided with this picture, although a few things just to mind. So you get to figure out what’s going on here. Here’s a few ideas to get you started: Why is he wearing a pink hat? Why are they together? What are they thinking? What are their friends thinking? What are you thinking? You can create whatever backstory you want to set up your point or joke. The only rules are — make it funny and keep it clean.
(To see our other caption contests, click on the “Say What?” category in the sidebar.)
As we’ve done in previous months, we’re going to look at the special days and holidays of this month. As usual, this is not a complete list — those can be found elsewhere. But I guarantee you will not find another list like this one. This is not a mere list, because we add our own unique commentary and analysis. In other words, we try to make it more fun. And you are welcome to add to the discussion in the comments section.
Let’s get started with the month-long celebrations and observances in August:
- Family Fun Month — A good family outing is a vacation, but if that’s not feasible at this time, try playing the Nintendo Wii. 🙂 This is not a joke — everyone who has tried it has enjoyed it, no matter their age or prior video game experience.
- Admit You’re Happy Month — Go on, admit it! Although if you really aren’t happy, you should acknowledge that, and then do something about it. And fortunately, you’re at the right place. My personal research has shown that reading this blog will make you happier.
- National Catfish Month — Mmm… fried catfish…
- National Golf Month — The sport of golf requires skill and discipline, sure, but it’s boring to many people (myself included). That’s why I wrote a post about making golf less boring.
- Peach Month — The best way to enjoy peaches is in cobbler, with vanilla ice cream. Mmm…
- Romance Awareness Month — I’m aware of romance. So I’ve got this holiday covered already.
- Water Quality Month — This is the month when local water municipalities strive to provide quality water. Oh, wait, I hope they do that every month. So what is this observance for?
- National Picnic Month — Picnics can be a good time. They make a good diversion from work if you take one during lunch. Just make sure the weather cooperates. Ironically, this emphasis on picnics is in August, which is typically the hottest month of the year. That should not be.
- National Inventors Month — I’ve invented something before, so this is about me. 🙂
- American Artist Appreciation Month — I’m an artist! For real, check it out!
- Foot Health Month — If your feet aren’t healthy, you should stay off them more (i.e., stay in bed more, sit on the couch to watch TV and/or play video games more).
- Home Business Month — I have a home business. I wish this meant I would automatically make more money this month.
Now let’s look at the weekly events / celebrations / holidays in August:
- Week 1 : National Simplify your Life Week — This is actually a good idea. Slow down, relax, focus on your top priorities, and laugh more.
- Week 2 : National Smile Week — Smile! You’re on Candid Cookie! 🙂 Really, studies show that smiling and laughing are good for you, and can even add years to your life. (And of course, I have to plug my blog here, as its purpose is to make people happier.)
- Week 3 : Friendship Week — For this week only, I’ll be your friend. Let’s do lunch. Have your people contact my people…
- Week 3 : Air Conditioning Appreciation Week — This holiday is appropriately placed in August. I’m very appreciative of my air-conditioner! But, on the other hand, I just wrote an article on my other blog explaining why you don’t need air-conditioning. It’s true! Read it if you don’t believe me.
- Week 3 : American Dance Week — All you party people out there, GET YOUR GROOVE ON!
- Week 4 : Be Kind to Humankind Week — This is a good idea. We are all brothers and sisters, after all. (Well, I’m assuming all my readers are human. If you are a non-human species and can read this, please let me know via our contact form.)
This is getting quite long (as it usually does), so I’m going to break it up into several parts. Click here to search for the other entries for August.
Now we will continue our tradition of looking at the special days and holidays of each month. This month we will look at February (of course). As usual, this is not a complete list, because those can be found elsewhere, but I guarantee you will not find another list like this one. See, we add our own unique commentary and humorous analysis to the holidays, to make it more fun. Feel free to share the link with your friends — just right-click on the name of this post, and select “Copy Link Location” (or whatever sounds closest) to get the link. Some of these holidays you will want to observe, and it’s even more fun if you get your friends “in the know” about them. Now, let’s get started with the month-long celebrations and observances :
- Creative Romance Month — Of course it’s this month, because of Valentine’s Day. Your wife / girlfriend will appreciate you using some creativity, well, as long as it includes a dozen roses, some chocolate, and a card with mushy stuff written in it. But other than that, be creative.
- American Heart Month — Just by parsing the title, this is for people who have a heart (i.e., humans, not cyborgs) and who are American. So for our international readers, I reckon you’re left out. Sorry… Oh, and BTW, I’ve heard that beans are good for your heart…
- Great American Pie Month — This is what I’m talkin’ about! For the whole month, eat pies. I’m not sure what pies are American, but I reckon anything made here is fine.
- National Cherry Month — I’m not much on eating plain cherries, but put them on a cherry cheesecake or a cherry cream cheese pie, and it’s on. And it happens to be American Pie Month, too.
- National Weddings Month — Shouldn’t this be in June?
- National Snack Food Month — This is another good one. And there are a lot of options for this one. Let’s see, Oreos, ice cream sandwiches, Cheetos, Doritos, King Dons, Twinkies, nachos, bean dip, popcorn, etc. And remember, this applies to the whole month.
- National Wild Bird Feeding Month — I don’t make it a habit to feed birds, but sometimes after a meal when there’s some leftover bread that isn’t going to be eaten, I’ll toss it out in the field behind my house. I know that God feeds the little birds, but that doesn’t mean I can’t help.
Now we’ll look at the holidays and observances that are for individual days :
- 1 National Freedom Day — Is this like Independence Day? It seems ambiguous to me, but I wouldn’t mind another holiday like that, because that would mean more grilling burgers and hot dogs.
- 2 Ground Hog Day — I don’t put much faith in whether a groundhog sees his shadow, but that sure was a funny movie.
- 5 Disaster Day — I’m surprised this one is on here. I think natural disasters are awesome, but most people seem to not see the beauty of them.
- 6 Lame Duck Day — Uhh… WHAT?!?
- 7 Wave All you Fingers at Your Neighbor Day — Your neighbors probably won’t know about this, so they probably wouldn’t understand.
- 7 Send a Card to a Friend Day – I bet this was created by a card company. But I have to wonder — why is it just a week before Valentine’s Day?
- 8 Kite Flying Day — This is a neat idea, but why is it in the middle of winter? Somebody should think these things through.
I’m going to split this up into two posts, so it won’t be so long. It will be continued tomorrow. (There should be a link at the top of this post to the next one after it’s available.)